Patients at Aira Hospital

Patients at Aira Hospital


It’s our last full day in Aira! How can the time go so quickly! We will worship with the students at Onesimus Nesib Seminary. They turn and kneel by their chairs and pray earnestly to God. It’s powerful and promise-filled. Rachel and Ron will wrap up their time with Aira Hospital staff and administrators. We will host a dinner for our colleagues and friends from the seminary, the hospital, the synod office, the secondary school. We are blessed by their camaraderie.



The Lord spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain. (At that time I stood between the Lord and you to declare to you the word of the Lord, because you were afraid of the fire and did not go up the mountain.) And he said: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments” (Deuteronomy 5:4-8-10). 

Here it is! The proof that God sent Moses to lead God’s people out of Egypt – God meets Moses on the mountain. We heard God tell Moses that it would be proof that God was sending him (on October 8). He had to wait – through 10 plagues, the Red Sea, Pharoah’s troops breathing down their necks and herding this people through the wilderness. Sometimes we must wait too – but God is true to God’s word. “Face to face, out of the fire on the mountain,” God speaks the eternal promise, which is ours too: “I am the Lord your God.” 



It’s our last working day in Aira! Tomorrow we leave early morning for Addis Ababa. The time has gone by so quickly, it’s difficult to think about leaving.

This morning Rachel met with the nursing students again, and then Ron and Rachel traveled to the synod office to meet with President Iteffa.

I spent the morning at Onesimus Nesib Seminary, offering a brief meditation for chapel, then attending a class on the Gospel of John. After tea-time (between the two morning classes), Rev. Tadese and I walked over to the dormitory building site. They are working hard to remove a lot of excess soil there, so the contractor can begin building. It’s a manual job, with men chopping and then scooping up dirt and throwing it into a burlap sheet. Then two women pick up the burlap sheet filled with loose dirt and carry it off into the coffee trees behind the dormitory. It’s a slow process. But they’ve made real progress already, since Friday, and Tadese hopes it will be cleared in two weeks. The monkeys in the trees look down on the project; I think they wonder, “What’s happening to our playground?” Oh, well, they have lots of trees to explore beyond the dormitory site. Tadese also exclaims over the cement block that has been made. They make it one block at a time, then set it out on the veranda by the chapel to dry.

This afternoon Ron will work on his report to Global Health Administrative Partners; Rachel and I will run to the hospital, try to send some emails. Plus Rachel is spending the afternoon at the nursing school. She’s a popular woman here! Seriously, the hospital staff and administrators love her.

We aren’t sure where Girma is and what he’s doing, but he has so many people to see while he’s here!

This evening we are invited to a dinner at the seminary, which will include synod leadership, seminary faculty, hospital administration, and some other ferenge visitors. It will our chance to say goodbye, and that will be difficult.

Tomorrow, Addis Ababa.